5 Men to Avoid on Valentine’s Day: Don’t Be This Guy
There are certain days of the year that throw relatively well-grounded grown men and women into a tailspin: Valentine’s Day is one of these days. Is it silly? Yes. Is it stupid? Yes. Valentine’s Day sends many men running for the hills and causes others to morph into events coordinators.
Many women have experienced the Valentine’s Day vanishing act when in the early stages of dating. It’d be funny if it weren’t so… sad. There are certain patterns and techniques some men use to avoid spending time with a new woman at this time of year. My advice: Don’t be this guy.
1) Mr. Drag-It-Out. All of a sudden, the CPA you met on February 2nd, has an Obama-like schedule and it’s not even tax season. Just to prove he’s not threatened by the prospect of unreasonable female Valentine’s Day expectations, he contacts you well before V-Day and “casually” mentions how busy his week is and suggests a “coffee date” at least 5 days after the 14th; just so you won’t spot the connection–pretty slick. Hey fellas, you’re not fooling anybody. This ploy is as easy to see through as a sheet of Saran Wrap. Don’t do it. Just don’t.
2) I’m “whelming.” Some guys unashamedly tell women that Valentine’s Day is “too overwhelming” for them and they can’t possibly get together until the day has safely passed. On the one hand, you get points for being honest. On the other hand, lighten up and realize that if a certain woman is applying too much Valentine’s Day pressure, she’s probably not the right woman.
When men tell me V-Day is “too much pressure,” I bite my tongue and don’t ask, “Why? Did you lose a great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great uncle in the massacre of 1349?” There’s no greater turn-off than the moment when I realize that I have more testicles than my date–especially since, technically, I don’t have any testicles.
3) El Disappearo Grande. This guy simply vanishes into thin air until hearts and flowers day has come and gone. He’s a variation of Mr. Overwhelmed above.
4) Mr. Nonchalant. This guy asks you out on or around Valentine’s Day, but makes no mention of the holiday. This guy is ok. I’d rather hang out with someone who acts as if V-Day isn’t a big deal because, in actuality, it isn’t a big deal, than someone who engages in complex machinations in avoidance or goes “ostrich.” Although, straightforward and reasonable expectations are always the best.
5) Mr. Romance. This guy is as bad as the first three, if not the very worst among them. He goes overboard and tries way too hard. There are few things more awkward than when a guy you barely know shows up with flowers and a Valentine’s date that’s as over-choreographed as a Baz Lurhmann dance sequence. It accomplishes the opposite of its desired effect: You immediately begin to search for the well lit emergency exits.
When you’ve just met someone, slow and steady wins the race. Granted, there are many, many women who make a giant to-do about Valentine’s Day. You have my sympathy and GOOD LUCK. I wouldn’t want to deal with those creatures either. In fact, that’s why it’s important to give men a lot of leeway in tolerating the above behaviors. They’ve developed a sort of Post-Traumatic Stress response to some women’s over-demanding, whiny, needy expectations of Valentine’s Days past.
Just think: It’s a whole 364 days before we’re confronted with this “holiday” again. Take a sigh of relief and enjoy the day… if you can.
by Dr Tara J. Palmatier, PsyD
Private Consultation and Coaching
I provide confidential, fee-for-service, consultation/coaching services to help both men and women work through their relationship issues via telephone and/or Skype chat. My practice combines practical advice, support, reality testing and goal-oriented outcomes. Please visit Services and Products for professional inquiries.
If you find the information I provide free of charge helpful and valuable here on Shrink4Men, please consider making a donation via PayPal to help me maintain the site.
- “Say Goodbye to Crazy” to Be Released for Pre-order on Valentines Day
- Going Mental with Dr Tara Palmatier and Paul Elam: Abusive Women, Smart Men, Bad Choices
- In His Own Words: Mother or Monster?
- In His Own Words: Heeding Childhood Lessons
- In His Own Words: The Making of a Knight in Shining Armor
- In His Own Words: A Real Time Cry for Help
- In His Own Words: Summer from Hell
- In His Own Words: Sex, Lies and Videotape
- In His Own Words: Dodging a Bullet
- In His Own Words: The Monster Behind the Beautiful Mask
- In His Own Words: Princess Turns into a Poisonous Toad
- In His Own Words: A BPD Mom and a Recently Divorced Custody Evaluator Walk into a Courtroom . . .
- In His Own Words: Dangerous Crazy Bitch Ahead
- In His Own Words: Another VAWA Success Story
- In His Own Words: One Brownie, Hold the Nuts
- In His Own Words: Violent Alcoholic Wife Attacks (VAWA)
- In His Own Words: Living a Nightmare
- Domestic Violence Awareness Month: Men Are the Invisible Victims
- MWT Radio Tonight: Lake Tantrum Special with James Mongiat
- In Defense of James Mongiat (Soon-to-Be_Ex-Husband of the Lake Tantrum Lady
|Dale on In His Own Words: Dangerous Cr…|
|shrink4men on In His Own Words: Dangerous Cr…|
|Dale on In His Own Words: Dangerous Cr…|
|Tab Sansouci on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|Louwrens Roos on Can a Man Break the Cycle of E…|
|Felix Oleksin on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|shrink4men on Why Parental Alienation is the…|
|shrink4men on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|CJ on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|Christina Rae on Why Parental Alienation is the…|
A Shrink for Men Blogs
- How to be a successful Narcissist in 5 easy steps! bit.ly/2aiDME6 https://t.co/xqjyYw1TKr 2 months ago
- RT @TheCrazyBusters: Is @TheCrazyBusters right for you? bit.ly/29MYyiP 2 months ago
- RT @TheCrazyBusters: Welcome to CrazyBusters! Bye-bye to the narcissists, borderlines and psychopaths in your life! bit.ly/29MYyiP 2 months ago
- Please check out @TheCrazyBusters twitter.com/TheCrazyBuster… 2 months ago
- Inspirational Facebook memes #Redflag #DomesticViolenceAwareness #DatingMistakesMenMake #dating #Datingadvice http://t.co/DxmHfCZVUQ 11 months ago