10 Gifts NOT to Give on Valentine’s Day
Because some things are just bad ideas…
1) A pig’s heart with a nail through it. This actually happened to Neil Forrester on MTV’s The Real World: London in 1995. It was so disturbing 14 years ago, that I haven’t forgotten it. General rule of thumb for Valentine’s Day, birthdays, Christmas, Hanukkah, baptism, or anniversary gifts: No barnyard animal sacrifices.
2) Anything that can be purchased at a gas station or a men’s room. Nothing quite says, “I love you and think about you constantly” then a pack of Dentyne, Trojans, and a gallon of windshield wiper fluid. If you care enough to make an effort, the least you can do is get yourself to a Walgreen’s before closing. Even low-maintenance women don’t go this low.
3) Office supplies. Unless, of course, it’s a full-service photocopying machine. That would actually be handy to have at home. Throw in a year’s supply of toner and you have a winning combo.
4) His and hers adjoining burial plots. Because I love you so much that I want to spend eternity lying next to you. While this may seem romantic in theory, trust me, in reality it’s not a good idea, especially if you just started dating (stalker alert). An exception might be if you and your beloved are past retirement age. But even then, there’s probably a better time than Valentine’s Day to give this gift.
5) A mix tape. Or, if you’re a geek, a hard drive with 10,000 hours of mp3s. Although, a boyfriend once gave me a hard drive as a gift and I liked it. I realized it’s the techie’s version of a mix tape and found him all the more adorable, but I’m an odd duck. Many women would look at the hard drive and USB cables with a, “What do you expect me to do with this thing?” expression. It’s a judgment call.
6) Anything that requires assembly. It’s not a present if you have to break a sweat or use tools in order to enjoy it.
7) A membership to Jenny Craig or NutriSystem. Even if she or he needs it, you’re basically saying, “I won’t love you if you’re fat.” There are better days and gentler ways to discuss your sweetheart’s weight problem.
8) Randomly purchased scented lotions and shower gels. No one needs more Vanilla Amber Freesia Mist bath products. No one.
9) Body fluids or clippings. Before Brangelina, Billy Bob Thornton and Angelina Jolie wore vials filled with each other’s blood. Unless the object of your affection is a Goth, Vampire, or medical student, it’s probably best to skip gifts you harvest from your own body.
10) Feminine hygiene products. This is no joke. I found this image on flickr today. Eeeew. I threw up a little in my mouth when I saw it. I considered posting the image here, but I just can’t do it. Check out the link.
by Dr Tara J. Palmatier, PsyD
Private Consultation and Coaching
I provide confidential, fee-for-service, consultation/coaching services to help both men and women work through their relationship issues via telephone and/or Skype chat. My practice combines practical advice, support, reality testing and goal-oriented outcomes. Please visit Services and Products for professional inquiries.
If you find the information I provide free of charge helpful and valuable here on Shrink4Men, please consider making a donation via PayPal to help me maintain the site.
Vending machine by Nuevo Anden on flickr.
- Why Love Bombing is a Red Flag
- Why is No Contact So Hard?
- How to Love a Woman Who Has Been to Hell and Back: Look for the Nearest Exit
- Narcissists, Borderlines, Codependents and Mutual Childhood Issues
- How to Protect yourself from Narcissists, Psychopaths and Borderlines
- Are You Codependent?
- Relationship Boundaries, Part 2
- Relationship Boundaries, Part 1
- Emotional Toddlers: Narcissists, Borderlines and Psychopaths, Part 1
- Winning an Argument with a Narcissist, Part 1
- Winning an Argument with a Narcissist, Part 2
- Emotional Toddlers: Narcissists, Borderlines and Psychopaths, Part 2
- How to Be a Successful Narcissist
- Custody Battles with Narcissists and Borderlines: Obsessed with Diet and Poop
- Narcissistic Abuse: Stages of Rumination During the Healing Process
- “Say Goodbye to Crazy” to Be Released for Pre-order on Valentines Day
- Going Mental with Dr Tara Palmatier and Paul Elam: Abusive Women, Smart Men, Bad Choices
- In His Own Words: Mother or Monster?
- In His Own Words: Heeding Childhood Lessons
- In His Own Words: The Making of a Knight in Shining Armor
|Hussein Kurdi on 13 Signs Your Wife or Girlfrie…|
|Nick on When Love Hurts: The Emotional…|
|Joe P. on When Love Hurts: The Emotional…|
|Mike on When Love Hurts: The Emotional…|
|Rahul on 13 Signs Your Wife or Girlfrie…|
|Ed on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|Ed on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
|shrink4men on Traumatic Love: Is Your Narcis…|
|David Webber on Traumatic Love: Is Your Narcis…|
|Jerry on 10 Signs Your Girlfriend or Wi…|
Articles by Month
- How to be a successful Narcissist in 5 easy steps! bit.ly/2aiDME6 https://t.co/xqjyYw1TKr 9 months ago
- RT @TheCrazyBusters: Is @TheCrazyBusters right for you? bit.ly/29MYyiP 9 months ago
- RT @TheCrazyBusters: Welcome to CrazyBusters! Bye-bye to the narcissists, borderlines and psychopaths in your life! bit.ly/29MYyiP 9 months ago
- Please check out @TheCrazyBusters twitter.com/TheCrazyBuster… 9 months ago
- Inspirational Facebook memes #Redflag #DomesticViolenceAwareness #DatingMistakesMenMake #dating #Datingadvice http://t.co/DxmHfCZVUQ 1 year ago